10 Things I’ve Learned This Week1
I’ve done some thinking this week, which is pretty unusual to tell you the truth. I’ve had some time on my hands, which is totally not normal, so I put it to good use, I was thoughtful. Here’s a few things I’ve learned this week. Maybe they’ll help you out…maybe not.
1. I’m addicted to Mahongg Dimensions on Facebook. I can play twenty times a day, do the exact same thing and one time score 500k and the other score over 5 million. I just don’t understand it.
2. Even though I live by myself, the thought of going off on an overnight by myself to a website conference for my office excites me. I think that might make me a big fat geek.
3. I am still so weak.
4. I think, though, I’m probably stronger than I realize…but only when I give God control, though. Think I’ll figure that out on a regular basis?
5. I got stumped on a blog the other night. It was hard to write. Not hard, emotionally, as you might have thought, but just hard to get the words from my head through my fingers to the screen. I learned that finishing a bottle of wine during the process helps things go much more smoothly.
6. I’ve learned that my image will not be defined by the next car I buy. As much as I’d like to buy a rockin new Honda Element and be the mountain-biking-kayaking rugged person that you imagine when you see the little toasters running down the interstate with their kayaks or bikes on the top, or even their campers ready for an overnight trip,
that just maybe that might not be the best thing I could do with my money. Maybe sticking with my 1999 Oldsmobile ’88 that’s hit a deer and been hit by another truck but still runs like a top is the right thing to do.
Maybe my image should come from who I am in Christ instead of my car? I’m gonna stick with that one. When the time comes for me to buy a new car, though, pray for me. I want the Element like it’s nobody’s business.
7. I love my family. Okay. So I didn’t learn that this week, but I love being reminded of how much they mean to me. I also love reminding them! Love you!
8. After my friends have been on vacation, I love it when they call. Even when it’s only been a week since I’ve last seen or heard from them, just the sounds of their voices is good for the soul. Keep connected. Communicate.
9. Being single and 30 is totally not a bad thing. In fact, most of the time it’s a good thing. I don’t have to check with anyone before I go and do something stupid or spend money on something I really want. Okay. Maybe I need someone to help with that. But what I’ve realized is I don’t need someone else to define who I am. That’s up to me and God.
10. And speaking of wine, the thing I’ve learned this week that stands out the most is this: Don’t save a bottle of your favorite wine for months and then sit down to drink it with dinner alone. If you’re going to drink it, drink it with friends. I also do not recommend working out after a couple of glasses. That was Sunday, and I think maybe today my heartburn is finally gone.
So that’s what I’ve learned this week. Anything you’ve learned that you’d like to pass on? Serious, not serious? I want to hear from you!