10 Reasons I’m Excited For Catalyst10
Next week! I can’t wait! Here’s why!
1. THE BLOGGERS MEETUP!! Haven’t heard of it? Maximum of 100 people. Jamie The Very Worst Missionary, Alece Ronzino, Bryan Allain, Joy Eggerichs plus about 96 others will be there. Some my friends from My Killer Tribe will be there, too. Can’t wait to finally meet them…even though Jamie beats me at Words With Friends 9 times out of 10. I will definitely be writing about this event!!
2. Andy Stanley will be there. I absolutely LOVE the book Visioneering…and it’s an old one of his. It’s one of those books that makes you look at a story you’ve heard your whole life and completely reexamine it. Plus, last year he spoke on Esau and selling out. Bonus.
3. Dave Ramsey. I can’t tell you how the wisdom and truth that this man speaks has helped to turn my life around. At one point I considered bankruptcy. I heard Dave say on his radio show, “If you can work, there is no reason you should have to file bankruptcy.” What he was saying was even though it might be tough and really suck for a while, eventually you’re going to come to the light at the end of the tunnel. And you’re going to be better for it. At one time I was working four jobs. I didn’t file bankruptcy. Just ask me how happy I am about that.
4. Katie Davis is speaking. Her bio says “Author and blogger, Kisses from Katie, and Foster Mother of 13.” Her story is incredible. Go check it out here. I think I’m going to have to carry some Kleenex with me for this one.
5. I’ve heard people get shot out of cannons…or have in previous years. I’m looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us.
6. I get to hang out with my friend, Dena. Nothing like a road trip and a week in a hotel to spend some quality time with a friend. Also, my friend Amy just moved down to the area. I think she’s coming Friday. I love my girls.
7. Jon Acuff is speaking at a Lab. He’s a huge blogger/author. I’ve talked about him before. I gave away his newest book. He’s kind of a big deal.
8. I have no idea who the musicians are going to be there. I really like that. I have no ridiculous expectations going in like I do at some concerts. That way it’s just about worship. I’m looking forward to this.
9. The theme: Be Present. I can’t say it better than they do. Here’s their write-up on it:
“Distraction has become the new norm. We get caught up with what happened yesterday and are preoccupied with what may happen tomorrow. Our attention is too often focused on what is happening “out there.” In the same moment, we are talking on the phone, replying to an email, updating our status and checking the latest headline. We commit to be in too many places at once. And those right in our midst are hurting. Brokenness exists all around you. Right now.
As leaders, we must be present. It’s our responsibility to embrace what God has put squarely in front of us, and take action where we are.
Being present requires time, space, and place. Eye to eye focus. Undivided attention. Messy moments of inconvenience. A willingness to lay down everything else to pay attention to who is in front of you. Listening, caring, and loving. Putting down roots in a specific place. Leading where you are.
We need more presence. With our Savior, our families, our friends, our neighbors, our city, our teams, our circle of influence.We must show up and be in the moment.
Lead now. Influence big. Change the conversation. Your presence matters. God desires to use you for something momentous today.
You are Responsible.”
10. Have I mentioned I won’t be at work? I won’t be at work. I love my job. But I’m tired. And I’m kinda grouchy. I need a break. So I’m taking one.
Have you been to or heard of any good conferences that I need to check out? Do share!