10 Opinions I Have On Taxes2
I started my taxes a couple nights ago. It’s not going to be pretty…at all. I’ve always owed, and I’m okay with that. I just wasn’t expecting this. I knew I had a good year, though, so I’d been saving up. I’m just thankful that this time I’ve got the money to pay it!
But here are 10 opinions I have on taxes:
1. Since I’ve graduated college there has been only one year that I have not had to pay in at tax time. This is because most of my income is considered self-employment income and has no taxes taken out. I could avoid this by paying throughout the year some, but I’d rather have money in the bank when I need it and pay an extra $75 in penalties at the end of the year than be short when I need to fix a car or something.
2. I’m not organized. This makes tax time ridiculously…well ridiculous. I have gotten better over the years, though.
3. When I open my 1099s and W-2s I always wonder where all that money went. No exceptions. This year was the first year I had an acceptable answer, though. I paid of my debt and bought a car and saved up for taxes.
4. I love it that I made enough money to go up a tax bracket. I hate it that moving up that tax bracket has me paying at least 10% more.
5. Because of my insane tax bill this year, it’s got me thinking of things I can invest in that I can depreciate or write off or buying things I don’t really need just because I can write it off as a business expense. It is a good excuse to buy some new toys, though.
6. I hate it that we’re not all taxed the same. I don’t know that a flat tax is the way to go, but I’m not a fan of having to pay a bigger percentage just because I made a few extra bucks this year.
7. I don’t mind being single and childless most of the time. Tax time is one time I wish I could have those extra tax deductions…I mean, family hanging around. Single at tax time = screwed.
8. I wish I could write off my clothes. Like all of them. I probably wouldn’t wear clothes if I didn’t go to work to make an income to pay my taxes on. Okay. Maybe I would. But I’d still like to be able to write off all of my shopping excursions.
9. I wonder if I could write off a portion of my Dish Network bill? I watch a lot of HGTV, and I’m a real estate agent. I would totally kill it on House Hunters. I’m sure we could relate it somehow? Maybe?
10. In the end I’m pretty sure that Jesus said at some point to give to Caesar what was Caesars. So I won’t complain too much about having to pay my taxes. I’ll be thankful that my income went up. I’ll be thankful that I have an income, and thankful my parents taught me how to work for everything I got.
What are your thoughts on taxes?