10 Bands I’ve “Discovered” Recently3
I love music. If you know me at all, you know that this is true. I grew up wanting to be a radio DJ. I couldn’t imagine a better job than sitting around playing music and talking about it on air. And even though that wasn’t the dream that stuck, I still love music. I love to sing. I love to play it. I love to listen to it. And I love to argue with Herschel about which music is better.
But here are some bands that I found out that I loved in 2011. Some of them are older, but new to me. Some of them are just new. Hope you enjoy them as I do!
1. The Civil Wars. These guys made their debut last year and started off with a tour with Adele. I’d say that’s a fairly decent debut. My friend took me to their concert in St. Louis after I ran my half marathon. I wasn’t the best of company because I couldn’t move, but I’m so thankful and the concert was pretty amazing!
2. The Staves. This trio of sisters opened for The Civil Wars at the concert we went to. There is no harmony like family harmony, and these girls definitely have it. It’s perfect music to have on in the background while relaxing with friends or just to have on while driving. Love.
3. Seryn. They were at the Catalyst Conference my friend and I went to last October. Incredible live performances every time they took the stage that week. I’m a fan of variety in music, but we listened to their CD the whole 8-hour drive back from Atlanta and never got tired of it. Enjoy!
4. Page CXVI. I heard of this band from a Twitter recommendation. My Twitter friends haven’t had bad taste so far in my experience. What these guys do is take old hymns and “update” them. And they’re so good. Here’s one of my favorites. Also check out this one.
5. Brooke Fraser. I’ve known who she is for a long time and even had some of her CDs for a couple years. She started out singing and writing with Hillsong and has moved to a solo career mostly. Just such a smooth voice and good solid lyrics. Love just about everything I hear from her.
6. Florence + The Machine. My friend Nancy introduced me to this music this summer while swimming. I just enjoy it. It’s pleasant to me. It’s loud when it needs to be loud, and they rein it in when they need to rein it in. Just like it a lot. They do win the award for some of the weirdest videos, though.
7. Adele. I’ve loved her music for a while but recently just upgraded her so that going to one of her concerts is now on my bucket list. The only other band on that list is U2.
8. Ingrid Michaelson. There’s just something about her voice that I love. The songs are simple and catchy and you just find yourself singing along.
9. Matt Nathanson. I didn’t think that much could beat his last album…until Modern Love came out. This guy just keeps putting out good music.
10. Alabama Shakes. I don’t know much about this band at all, but this is probably one of my favorite discoveries in the last few months. You can’t get their music on iTunes yet. I think that’s coming out this spring. But I absolutely LOVE their sound. I heard this song on Spectrum Rock on my SIRIUS radio, which I’m loving, by the way. But I can’t wait until I can get some more of this music!
So who would you add to my list?