10 Things About My Vacation3
Tomorrow will be a weeks since I’ve gotten back home from vacation. The more I look back at it, the more I miss it. Here are 10 things I’ve thought about it.
1. I got to spend a week with some of my family. Some I get to see a lot. Some I very rarely get to see. I loved every minute of it.
2. There were a couple kayaks behind the house. I went kayaking a couple days. I liked it a lot.
3. Also behind the house I could walk about for a long ways and it only be up to my knees. I found a lot of shells out there because the water was clear enough to walk around and just look down for them.
4. I had been to the ocean several times on the gulf. I’d never been to the Atlantic. I underestimated the power of the waves several times. They just picked me up and threw me several feet. I think that’s why my back has been hurting so bad.
5. I’ve decided that as much as I loved the beach, I would not want to live on the beach. I would, however, like for there to be a beach quite a bit closer. Not a lake beach. And ocean beach. I may need to move in order to see that dream become a reality, but that’s not in the cards as of right now.
6. I didn’t do any of the things that I had planned on doing. No parasailing. No segway tours. I’m totally okay with it.
7. What we did do was relax. I went to a bead store and made a necklace. We went to a pottery store and made a little flip-flop magnet and painted a coffee cup with my family. I took my niece and let her pick out beads for a necklace and helped my nephew pick out a shark tooth for his necklace so he’d be super fierce.
8. We climbed to the top of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. I believe there were 258 steps spiraling straight up. But the view was worth it. Climbing to the top with my mom and uncle was even better. Mom has always love lighthouses, so I’m glad we took the time to head up there and do it.
9. We all stayed in the same house, which was a daunting thought for me. Keep in mind, I live by myself and the thought of having 24 other people in a house with me for a week was actually more terrifying than daunting. But this house was the biggest house I’ve ever stayed in. I imagined us all being on top of each other trying to move around and getting in each others way. At least until I saw he house. Pretty sweet digs for a southern Illinois girl.
10. My mom and I were in the car for about 35 hours and drove over 2,000 miles for the trip. I loved everything about it, but next time we’ll fly. I was having hip trouble before we left and that long in a car has just accentuated that pain. Definitely flying any time the drive is over 8 hours. I can do 8 hours in a day pretty easily. That’s Atlanta. That’s Virginia. That’s somewhere in the middle of Kansas, I believe.
But, man, that was a great vacation.
What about you guys? Have you gone on vacation this year? What did you do?