10 Foods I Miss During This Challenge1
I’m taking part in a Paleo challenge through my gym. I’ve been eating this way off and on* for the past year and a half, but this time it’s a strict two-month challenge, and if I mess up, Bridget will be there to smack me upside the head. For those of you who don’t know, Paleo, in very simplistic terms, is no grains, no sugar and no dairy. If it’s processed, don’t eat it. Basically things you can hunt and gather. Fresh fruit and veggies and supposed to be grass-fed meat, but you can’t really find that around here, so we just do the best with what we have.
As you can imagine, though, with no sugar and grains and dairy, there are a few foods I miss and crave occasionally. Below are the 10 I’m craving most at the moment. This changes hourly, so check back in a few hours, and I may make a few changes!
1. DQ Chocolate Xtreme Blizzard. And to be quite honest with you, when I’m eating bad, I don’t eat this that often, but right now it’s pretty much my deepest desire. **
2. Cheese. I normally eat more Primal than Paleo. They’re basically the same except primal allows some dairy and a few other things. But I miss cheese a lot. I always put it in my eggs. I ate it with grapes for my snack. I’d put feta on salads. I would just eat it plain. I miss cheese.
3. Nicole’s cupcakes. My friend Nicole makes the BEST cupcakes I’ve ever eaten. However, she’s in the challenge, as well, so she’s not making them just to bring to small group or anything like that. ***
4. Chili with beans. I can have everything in chili I normally do…minus the cheese and beans. It’s just not the same without beans.
5. Bread. I didn’t ever eat a ton of bread. However, when you go out to eat, you realize how much everything is served with a piece of bread. Or there are a few places that I would mainly go to just to eat their bread. Like 9th Street in Mt. Vernon. So yummalicious.
6. El Mexicano. this is our local Mexican restaurant. You go in and sit down and get chips and salsa. I really miss those chips. My favorite dish there is grilled chicken, peppers, onions & tomatoes served on rice (which I can’t have) and smothered in their wonderful white cheese (which I can’t have). You see my dilemma.
7. Milk chocolate…and anything it covers. I can eat dark chocolate as long as it’s 70% cacao or above. However, it’s fewer points than anything else, so I have only eaten it a couple of times. And honestly, it’s just not as good as milk chocolate. Like over a Snickers bar. Or in a Reeses Cup. Or in brownies. Or chocolate chip cookies.
8. Pizza. This is a combination of all things bad. And, again, I don’t eat it that often when I’m not watching what I eat, but I do enjoy it when I do. I think my first Sunday at small group after the challenge, we’ll be ordering pizza of the ham and pineapple variety.
9. Mayonnaise. There are plenty of Paleo recipes to make my own, but so far I’ve not been adventurous enough to try it. I’ve substituted with mustard. Let me tell you that tuna salad with mustard instead of mayonnaise is NOT the same. It wasn’t horrible. It just wasn’t that great.
10. Cream cheese. In all my life I never thought I’d say that, but one of my favorite ways to cook pork or chicken is to flatten it, spread cream cheese on it, add some jalepenos on top of that, roll it up and either grill it or cook it in the skillet. I’ve missed that. Really it’s the only way I’ve wanted to eat meat these last four weeks. The upside is there is just over four more to go! ****
So what foods do you miss when you’re eating healthy?
**Insert comment about how shallow I am
***Hire Nicole to do all of your cupcake/cake baking! She’s awesome!!
****And maybe the fact that I feel good and am losing weight and inches like it’s nobody’s business.